Saturday, October 4, 2008

The CentOS Adventure

You should not forget where you came from, I could relate this with my adventure with centos (CentOS is a freely-available operating system that is based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux. ) During my early years with linux I started with RedHat 7.2 till RedHat 9 then my previous company switch to mandrake actually its a customize drake we were installing from a harddisk to our server (I forgot doing that) I been setting up proxys, firewall and samba server with it.Next was debian I fall in-love with apt-get although yum was ok with me during those days but apt-get was an easy breez coz no dependencies was miss out by apt-get. Then Ubuntu came it was a haven OS for me. Now I'm setting up a LTSP out of Centos,why? Audio issue unsloved. So I would like to try it in RedHat environment. I said to my self this is just old times but when I was configuring it I'm using debian commands and paths, although linux commands and paths are universal there are still some would be different like for example network config in ubuntu I go to /etc/network/interfaces to edit my network interface card while in centos its under /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth*. Also if I want to know what release I'm using I typed lsb_release -a, this command wont work with centos. My adventure is not yet over I will still be diving or lets says visiting with my old roots of linux.

No comments: